Find more fight news...

 

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

UFC 73 really is stacked!

I just went to Sacramento this summer to visit my uncle who is an avid UFC fan. We had to leave early because we still had to visit my cousin in Long Beach, now that I'm here in Las Vegas, I find out that UFC 73 was going to be in Sacramento. What the f%$k!? If I knew that when I was there then I would've stayed! Now my uncle gets to watch it all by himself!
Anyway, since I can't go there due to appointment restraints, I'm just going to have to talk about it. UFC 73: Stacked really is stacked as the name suggests. Although the fight I'm most looking forward to is between former Pride fighters Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Heath Herring, Anderson Silva vs. Nathan Marquadt will be a good one. Both guys have a lot of experience and fought against good oppositions. Current UFC and Cage Rage middleweight champ Silva defeated Rich Franklin, Carlos Newton, Hayato Sakurai, and Jeremy Horn while Nathan is a seven-time world champion for King of Pancrase middleweight division. Although both have tons of fights under their belt, I'm leaning towards a win for Silva.

Another fight is between Sean Sherk who defeated Kenny Florian to win the UFC lightweight title and Hermes Franca former WEC and AFC Lightweight champion. Both fighters have fought fairly good opponents and also have many years of experience. Although I would say that Sherk has the most experience and is older than Franca by a year, but I doubt that would make a difference. Sherk has fought and won against Nick Diaz, but lost against Georges St. Pierre and Matt Hughes. Franca has fought and won against Nathan Diaz (brother of Nick Diaz) and Ryan Schultz. I think Sherk will come out as the victor in this one as he is the more experienced guy who fought higher quality opponents.

Tito Ortiz will be fighting again versus Rashad Evans, TUF 2 heavyweight winner. I think Tito is starting to go down on his career already having a dissappointing performance against Chuck Liddell. The way he fights just doesn't excite me. He relies too much on striking and is not even good at it looking at the way Chuck Liddell beat him. Rashad Evans seems an "OK" fighter, but that's all I see in him. He's just an average fighter, but with a good determination rose up the ranks. I think Tito will take this fight because he has way more fight experiences with quality opponents while Evans only has Sean Salmon.


As for the Nogueira vs. Heath Herring? I'm definitely going for Nogueira. I've seen him fight strong opposition in Pride and the guy is a genius when it comes to jiu-jitsu and already has a win against Heath Herring. Herring has lost to him twice and also have losses against Fedor Emelianenko, Vitor Belfort, and Mirko Filipovic. I just want to see how Nogueira performs in the UFC for this fight seeing as he's new to the organizaton.


Overall, this event is filled with exciting match-ups and will be worth your money. We're starting to see Pride fighters in the UFC and I'll be looking forward to the Chuck Liddell-Wanderlei Silva if it ever happens and Fedor Emelianenko, too. For more info, go here.

No comments: